This is a super fast, very tasty and nutritious soup.
This soup I made on the 6th day of my what I am eating for 7 days in lockdown. I love this soup my eldest daughter Rachael introduced it to me years ago. Her kids love it, they love broccoli in any form. I find it a great go to when you want something quick, easy and comforting.
Serve this soup with cheese on toast, or as I did on sweet potato toast with melted cheese on top. Delicious, just toast your sweet potato as usual, place some cheese on top and pop under the grill, yum.
Broccoli is a fantastic veggie and very versatile, this is a great way to use it when it is in season and there is a glut of it at a good price. It is full of vitamins and minerals has antioxidants can reduce inflammation in body tissue and is full of fibre. What’s not to like?
This soup can also be pimped up, try adding sweet potato or other vegies that you like or have an abundance of, just take care not to overcook the broccoli. Enjoy ……..
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee omit if you are vegan
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 2-4 cups vegetable stock
- Cut the broccoli into florettes and put aside. Peel the stalk of the tough outer layer and slice into thin slices.
- Put olive oil into deep sided saucepan on medium high heat. Place the broccoli stalks in the oil and saute until bright green.
- Add the garlic until fragrant, stiring to prevent sticking. Add the half the stock and broccoli florettes. Bring to the boil and turn down heat once boiling.
- Once the broccoli is just cooked, it will be bright green, remove from heat. Blend with either a stick blender or a regular blender. Being careful as it is hot and may splash. If using a standard blender take care the heat doesn’t force the lid off.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and heat through adding more stock if it is too thick. Season to taste and serve with cheesy toast or sweet potato cheese toast and a splash of olive oil.