A low carb, gluten free alternative to rice.Jump to Recipe
Making Indian, Thai or Mexican for dinner tonight? Want an alternative to rice to keep those carbs to a minimum and stay on track with eating healthier, cleaner and leaner? This is a great side dish it can be served raw , made into a summer “rice salad” or cooked and served to accompany any dish that is usually served with rice. It will keep for around 4 days in the fridge once cooked, and can be frozen raw for about 1 month although I never have any left to freeze! This takes around 15 to 20 minutes from start to finish so great for those of us who are time poor or want a quick side dish to serve with your meal.
- Box Grater or Food Processor
- 1 large head Cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Remove all the green parts of the cauliflower, wash and dry very well so that the rice doesn’t become soggy
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and if using the box grater use the large holes and grate into a bowl. Or if using a food processor using the large grater attachment process the cauliflower.
- Once this is done you can either enjoy it raw or if you prefer it cooked; place the olive oil into a frypan on medium heat pop the cauliflower rice and stir to coat with oil and place a lid on top so that it will gently steam for around 8 to 10 minutes, stiring it a few times to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Serve immediately or season to taste with soysauce or tamari, finely chopped herbs such as coriander or saffron strands. Store left overs in a container in the fridge for up to 4 days.