Day 1 of what’s cooking in the kitchen.
This is day 1 breakfast. What I am cooking for lunch and dinner over the next 7 days. Why am I doing this? Well as we are all in some sort of lockdown the world over, due to Covid-19, I have had to start being a little more creative with what I am making each day. We have had shortages on almost everything here in the UK as elsewhere in the world. There are shortages of many packet and tinned goods everywhere, and as we all only want to go shopping for food as seldom as possible we have had to become a little more thoughtful on what we are planning to eat each meal.
I am vegetarian, or pescatarian, as I do eat seafood on occasion. As such I have had no problems with the supply of veggies. Although they may be limited or sold out of some things such as salad stuff there are always plenty of other options available. As such I decided to post what I am eating to inspire you to make what is fresh and available where you are to come up with a clean healthy meal.
I am also stuck for the time being in the UK and therefor trying to watch what I spend so I am tending to buy what is cheap, which is generally what is in season, which is much better for you as it is generally fresher and has travelled less distances than some fruit and veg.
So get into the kitchen see what you have on hand and get creative.
Mushroom, Onion and Baby Spinach Omelette
- Sharp Knife
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red Onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a heavy based fry pan on medium heat add sliced onionsuntil soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until they are a glossydark cream colour and starting to soften.
- Turn the heat down and add the crushed garlic and a largehandful of baby spinach stirring until the spinach is wilted and the garlic is aromatic.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and swish aroundensuring the egg mixture is all around and covering the pan base.
- Continue to cook on low until the top is set andthe sides are easy to lift from the pan. Season with salt and pepper, fold inhalf and serve.