My favourite thing about winter is soup. I love soup, for lunch or dinner, serve it with bread, crusty bun or toast. These are some of my favourite soups, from quick and easy to slow cook. Some are hearty and thick others light and great for a first course or a light lunch. Most can be frozen check the notes as it always great to have something in the freezer for those lazy days.
- Broccoli Soup
- Cauliflower and Blue Cheese Soup
- Roast Leek and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee omit if you are vegan
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 2-4 cups vegetable stock
- Cut the broccoli into florettes and put aside. Peel the stalk of the tough outer layer and slice into thin slices.
- Put olive oil into deep sided saucepan on medium high heat. Place the broccoli stalks in the oil and saute until bright green.
- Add the garlic until fragrant, stiring to prevent sticking. Add the half the stock and broccoli florettes. Bring to the boil and turn down heat once boiling.
- Once the broccoli is just cooked, it will be bright green, remove from heat. Blend with either a stick blender or a regular blender. Being careful as it is hot and may splash. If using a standard blender take care the heat doesn't force the lid off.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and heat through adding more stock if it is too thick. Season to taste and serve with cheesy toast or sweet potato cheese toast and a splash of olive oil.
Cauliflower and Blue Cheese Soup
- 30 gm butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 150 gm mild blue cheese, crumbled
- 250 mls full cream milk
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- sour cream for serving
- Melt butter and oil in a decent sized saucepan. Add sliced leek, onion and garlic. Saute stirring and until leeks and onion are soft, add cauliflower and stir occasionally for 10 mins until softened.
- Add stock and thyme bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add cheese and stir until softened, add the milk and just heat through, do not boil. Season and serve with chives and a dollop of cream on the top.
Roast Leek and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 3-4 leeks sliced into 1cm pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Additional olive oil to serve
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180° prepare the cauliflower and leeks keeping the garlic whole and unpeeled. Line a baking tray with paper and place the veggies making sure they aren't too crowded. Drizzle with the oil using more if required
- Roast the leeks and cauliflower for around 20-25 minutes turning half way through, remove when cooked through and turning golden though not burnt.
- Remove from the oven and place in a food processor or blender popping out as many of the garlic cloves you like. I use all of them as I love garlic however, you may only want one or two. If so the others will keep in the fridge for around a week to use in other dishes. Blend until smooth with around 1 cup of the stock.
- Pour this mixture into a saucepan adding remainder of stock. You may not need the 4 cups it depends if you like your soup thick or a little runny. Heat through do not boil as everything is already cooked it just needs warming. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a splash of olive oil and herbs of your choice crusty bread or toast and enjoy.